Friday, March 15, 2013

The workshop of Juan de Juan

When you'll read it - it's possible that you'll ask why did I ask for a photo with him after this. Shortly - from time to time I make a mistake which I can't feel sorry for making it. This workshop was probably was a mistake and I'm still glad I didn't let myself miss it. 

First mistake - the day. It's REALLY hot here today. And there was a marathon this morning that the city hall made it happen. They had few road while the largest one has been cancel because of the heat. Still - many road in Tel Aviv were closed for it. I don't have a car (and I think that my driving lesson won't help me anyway). No one I could ask for a ride didn't accept to take me there and I've been told that the public transport it will be a problem as well (and I mean mostly to taxi cause buses don't get in there). From my house it's possible to walk there, but it's still a walk. And I can't miss my heels. And the heat!!! Untill I got there I thought I'm about to die. 

Second mistake - no one really knew if it starts at 10:00 or 10:30. Few came there even before I did, most came by "if it's starts at 10:00" like I did. Well, it was meant for 10:30. 

I changed. I took my water out and drank for cooling a bit. Someone else came with many big bags. It took me a while to understand why does her face looks familiar to me. She was putting her bags next to mine. Tool hot. I wanted to drink more. I couldn't find my water. I knew it was where the bags found their place. I asked if anyone saw my bottle. It was there! They accepted letting me look behind the bags, but it vanished. 

There were only women who came. Most that I know, some only the face or in the fact they dance/teach. Few I get to really talk with and see before how does they dance. From the studio of Neta - it was only me. The air conditioner has been opened. Near it it was possible to feel it. 

Juan de Juan was a bit late. 10 minutes or so. Probably because of the marathon. When we have been told he came - we also got too much information where did he stop there. 

So, after all the workshops I took till now - a thing like this never happened to me before. From the start - start dancing, no warming at all. Quite in the start - no one could feel the air conditioner. I took a place in the first row. He also became one in the row many times. After few minutes he asked we'll change rows. The change was for all the rest of class. I mean - how much it's possible to call it "rows". Some moved in a way that bothered others to see, and it changed all the time who is behind, who more behind and how much it's left or right. And some were talking. When the girls who came to dance stopped talking - some who were sitting there started to talk too loud. One of them came with Juan.

The palo was buleria. Normally in those workshops there is a full dance, but we didn't learn a dance. We learned steps of buleria in the way he do it (lots of legs' work) and some versions of what can we do in the same time with the hands. It were few things which is possible to make a dance from it, but only part. It was something like the improvisation classes that I take from Neta once a week, but in a high level. How high? At the studio of Neta I learn a lot of basic things and traditional for it will be easy to make it when just do it in the same moment - mostly if it's fin la fiesta. In the workshop of Juan de Juan... No one thought it will be this way and... We were 20 or so who came to the workshop. Many of those who came are professional dancers - some with a lot of time on stage or teaching (or both). Some started to say in the class itself it's hard. He could find 3-4 that he asked to be in the first row cause they made it somehow. All rest of us... Just wonder how to do it. 

We had a brake. At least there was a machine I could take water from it. Near this machine in this brake I've been asked by a professional dancer who knows me if I survive. For now I still do. Inside I asked Juan if it's possible to take a video in the end. In the last 5 minutes - yes. 

The workshop start again. I noticed that there was a reason to ask me if I survive. The professional dancer who asked me this couldn't do all. She looked pretty pissed that she can't handle all. And I know how does she normally dance, so it's clear it was a bad day. I started to look at others. Accept the 3-4 chosen ones - all had problems. One woman that her daughter dances was talking loud with the woman who came with Juan. I'm not sure cause in one point I couldn't notice Juan because of them... I looked at them few times, but once they looked at me. I think they did. It could be on another whoa next to me, but they looked, the mother was talking while pointing at me. 

There was there also a professional dancer who took some photos. I guess I could get some and see if I'm in his photos as well. 

I've been told it will take till 13:00, but it was 2 hours as it's always in Días de flamenco. Juan sat in the side and one of the chosen made the steps. She didn't do all perfect although she's a professional flamenco dancer. It was with fixings. And the professional photographer made some walks and for one moment it's possible to see him instead of the steps of the buleria. 

And some photos with Juan. I wasn't the first and not the last one to ask for it. In the way out I told him that I'm gonna see the show tonight. In the dressing room some said it was weird because it wasn't include a full dance. And it was hard because of running with the steps. 

Still I'm not sorry. Yeah, it was hard and weird. Still I think that Juan de Juan is a great dancer and I think that if I missed this workshop - it could be harder for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment