Sunday, August 19, 2018

A workshop with Adrian Santana, August 2018

Adrian Santana came back to Israel. I wish I could give on time the full information about the workshops and shows at Tel Aviv. Long story, I didn't receive the information in a way that could help me to inform here. So only for the workshop at Haifa I could bring. I did go to one of his workshops at Tel Aviv. I've been at workshops of him before, it was enough for me to know that I want it again. At Tel Aviv meant to be three levels workshops. I took the middle level workshop - caña with manton. The beginners levels has been cancel. Probably not enough at this level knows what's good for them. So, three crazy days. How was it?
First day

I came on time. The advanced level with bata de cola was on. It was difficult to find a place to put my things. The area for it was crowded and not all with a good reason. There was a man sitting there. I didn't know him. I was sure that he's a father of someone there or just came with someone and stayed to look. Yeah, one level with bata (and a fan!), another level with mantom - the teacher is a man. I did find a way to put my things and change. I took my manton and got to the dancing part at the studio. I saw some familiar faces. I was amazed amused that after a moment I found out that Adrian remembers me. He smiled and waved me. OK, I'm done here. Already happy. When the bata class has finished I was talking with one of the girls from this class. I know her for years and haven't seen her for a long time. At this class she was the only one with an ordinary skirt. I asked her why doesn't she wear a bata. She decided to make it easier for herself. I took a place for dancing. A crazy woman that I know from the studio came. She meant to come to the beginners, but as far it has been cancel - she came to try the medium level. To see her face when she found out it's with mantons was priceless. So, she's crazy and needed to shout "Orna, do you know how to dance with manton?". Yeah, and I know what I came for. She didn't know cause it isn't the level she wanted and she never danced with manton. Anyway she never really dance without... She's been given a manton that has been at the studio for her first trial. A man from Mijal's group came. I won't say his name cause he behaved weird. He also received a manton of the group that has been at the studio. The man that I thought that came to look found a way at the studio. He came with a manton, but the shoes.... The shoes doesn't fit flamenco. 

The class has started with some late. Three girls who I know took both classed. Three more girls that I don't know came to the manton class. Many women and two men. Too crowded. We started with a lot of working on technique of the manton. Although I was dancing with manton before - I learned something new about the movement that makes it much more comfortable. A simlpe thing that made me wonder why didn't I think of it before. Twice has been accidents for women that I don't know. Once the manton got stuck hard at the hair of a woman. Adrian helped her to release it. A manton got stuck hard at the glasses of someone else. Adrian helped to release it. A moment after - this women kinda sent her manton to Adrian's face. The man from Mijal's company started to ask questions. At Hebrew. Now I know that he doesn't know Spanish, but... Adrian don't have a reason to understand Herew. And then we had for a while to practice workout with the manton at trios from one side to another side of the studio.

A little brake. The crazy woman started to ask me about next classes at the studio, the ordinary classes we take together - when she dare to come. She wanted to change the hours of the workshop because the last third class will be on the time of the ordinary class. Do you want to tell everyone to come at another hour for you could come to an ordinary class? Oh, no... At this moment or a little bit after I started to wonder why didn't I see Mijal yet for that day. 

We started to learn a dance. It felt like the man that I don't know use his manton as a weapon - against me. I found out that I try a lot to run away from his manton. The class has finished after the time it meant to finish.


Now there was a problem. The studio meant to be closed. Mijal wasn't there at all. Keren who works for her was suppose to close it, but she went away a bit after this class has started. The crazy woman called someone. I said "thanks and goodbye" to Adrian. I went to at before coming back home. 

Second day

Friday morning... Still not awake, but I came on time.

The bata class was with all women who came at the day before. Mijal was there and was a student like all the women who took this class. The unknown man was there and waiting. 

Again - the class of the manton has started after time. Between classes I was talking with people that I know. The crazy woman didn't come. Many others didn't come. Some came at the last moment like the man from the group of Mijal. Mijal was wondering how come that many didn't come. I was telling her about the trial and first time of the crazy woman. She asked me if the crazy woman felt it was too difficult for her. It could be.... The three woman who took both classes at the day before did it again. The men came. Mijal joined this class as well. Still less crowded at the second day. 

We started again with technique of the manton. Probably the hour and the fact that I'm NOT a professional dancer - I missed once. It was on a beat and once I missed the beat. Adrian saw it, but signed me a thing which is easy to understand as "it's OK". And once again - from side to side. This time at couples. I was at the first couple and it took a moment that one hand missed catching the manton. So embarrassing... Adrian signed me again. Still I needed some time to get over it.

A little brake and we got back dancing. A work on the dance. It meant to be a caña. At first day our first steps were without music. This time Adrian let us hear the music during our dancing. He told one of the girls what is the difference between caña and polo. So, there is a little difference and we danced with music of polo. We learned some more steps for the dance. And Mijal who didn't hear the explain asked if it's polo. Yeah, it was. There were some questions brakes. Someone asked for how long men dance with batas and mantons. A girl told about a man dancer who gave a workshop with a fan and didn't accept anyone will take photos of him with the fan. The man from Mijal's group went on with questions at Hebrew, but it was more about the technique.  At the dance itself it was easier for me than it was at the technique part. 

At the end of class came musicians and some more dancers from the group for a rehearsal. The class has finished after time. Before Adrian started talking with the musicians - I asked him if I would be able to take a video at the end of the dance. He accepted, but it doesn't mean that I will upload it to here. 

Third day

After one day off because of a show. I didn't go, I'm about to go to another show of Adrian after the full workshops ends. I came earlier. I saw the end of the bata class. Took videos at groups. Adrian took a video of all of them for the end. Mijal asked me and another girl to take photos of all group with Adrian. I found out who's the strange man. From the people I didn't know before - only him and the woman with glasses has stayed. All those who came to the bata class stayed to the end. At the manton class.... Some more has gone. I can't understand how could they decided to miss it, but I had some more space to move at.

This time we didn't spend time on technique. Right from the start - learning some new steps for the polo and mix it with the old steps. One of the girls who took both classes has been giving up after 15-20 minutes of manton class. She took off her manton, changed clothes. almost went away. She stayed at the studio till the end of class, but was sitting and looking from the side. The man from Mijal's group did the opposite thing. He came when the class almost finished, changed shoes and made a try to blend in. 

We received one chance to take a video. Only 4 were dancing, all were busy at taking videos. The man from Mijal's group got into my video twice for a moment... Then all of us danced for the end together. 3 minutes dance at 3 classes. 

For the end - Adrian made a selfie with all of us from the manton class. I still don't have it... But he accepted to have photos with each one who wanted alone with him. I got mine with my mobile phone


No comments:

Post a Comment